Light is an extremely valuable component in our everyday lives, especially when it comes to our homes. If your home is not receiving much light, it can create adverse effects for your health including stress, tiredness, headaches, etc. Having a bright home helps bring clarity, inspiration, tranquility, and positive energy to your space. It can also make your home more inviting and amplify the feeling of spaciousness. For those asking themselves the question “How does one brighten their space?”, we’ve created a list of ideas for you!
Here are some tricks you can use to brighten any area of your home:
- Change out the lightbulbs – A simple switch of a lightbulb can brighten up any space. Swap them for ones with higher lumens. LEDs are a great option as they provide a higher light output and are energy efficient.
- Rearrange your furniture – The way a room is decorated has a huge impact on the perceived size and brightness of the space. Make sure to keep furniture away from obstructing any windows.
- Paint your walls a neutral or lighter shade – Paint is the most inexpensive way to transform a room.
- Minimize window coverings – If you’re going to use curtains, aim for ones that are light and translucent, rather than heavy. Have them frame the window instead of covering them. Not only will the windows appear bigger, but when the curtains are open they won’t block incoming light.
- Incorporate mirrors throughout – Strategically hang mirrors near light sources so you can reflect light in all the right places and make your space feel bigger.
- Layer your lighting – Get creative and combine different light sources. Start with a primary light source such as overhead lighting and then mix in secondary sources like accent lamps.
- Decorate with plants or flowers – They provide a natural feel and add bright pops of color. You will literally breathe new life into your home.
- If you have dark flooring or furniture, use a light colored rug – Laying down lighter area rugs will set a brighter color palette for the space.
- Remove the clutter and embrace unused space – The fewer objects in a room will make a room feel more open and which in turn make it seem brighter.